Problem installing ImageMagick

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
neil1984

Problem installing ImageMagick

Post by neil1984 »

Hi im having problems installing ImageMagick wondered if anyone could help, I already installed it once but didnt have the required jpeg libraries so have added these but now get this error when trying to make ImageMagick:

CCLD coders/yuv.la
CC coders/coders_jpeg_la-jpeg.lo
coders/jpeg.c: In function âWriteJPEGImageâ:
coders/jpeg.c:1596: warning: argument âimageâ might be clobbered by âlongjmpâ or âvforkâ
CCLD coders/jpeg.la
CC coders/coders_jp2_la-jp2.lo
CCLD coders/jp2.la
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libjasper.a(jas_cm.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libjasper.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [coders/jp2.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/www/vhosts/default/htdocs/imagemagick/ImageMagick-6.5.6-1'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Anyone seen this before or offer any suggestions as to how I can get it working?
magick
Site Admin

Re: Problem installing ImageMagick

Post by magick »

Do as it suggests, recompile the Jasper delegate library with -fPIC. Its possible the Jasper configure script supports the -with-pic option. If not, you can edit the Makefile and add -fPIC next to the -O option. Google has lots of pages about this problem.
coolweb
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by coolweb »

I've tried the -with-pic option with no luck, I could not find where i need to add -fPIC. Could ImageMagick 6.6.9-7 be the cause of my problem?

here's what i get

make install-am
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ubuntu/ImageMagick-6.6.9-7'
CCLD magick/libMagickCore.la
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libjasper.a(jas_icc.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.8' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libjasper.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
make[1]: *** [magick/libMagickCore.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ubuntu/ImageMagick-6.6.9-7'
make: *** [install] Error 2
ditto
Authentication code: 67789

Post by ditto »

I am all of a sudden having almost the same errors. I am currently running ImageMagick 6.7.9-10. When I try to upgrade to ImageMagick 6.8.0-4 it give this error after doing "make" command:

Code: Select all

CCLD     magick/libMagickCore.la
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libltdl.a(ltdl.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S against `.rodata.str1.8' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libltdl.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/ImageMagick-6.8.0-4'
make: *** [all] Error 2
I am running CentOS 6.3 64bit. I have recompiled/upgraded ImageMagick from source many times before, this is the first time I have this error. I have not been able to find solution searching using Google. Please help.
ditto
Authentication code: 67789

Post by ditto »

As mentioned I get this error when doing "make" (it's not the exact same as the first poster):

CCLD     magick/libMagickCore.la
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libltdl.a(ltdl.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S against `.rodata.str1.8' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libltdl.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/ImageMagick-6.8.0-4'
make: *** [all] Error 2
However I also get some kind of warning when I run the configure commands, I run this:

./configure --with-modules --with-perl=/usr/bin/perl
It give this warning/message when "checking":

checking for Ghostscript...
checking for Ghostscript version... gs: /usr/local/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib64/libgs.so.8)
gs: /usr/local/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib64/libcairo.so.2)
gs: /usr/local/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib64/libcupsimage.so.2)