Need .exr support for simple composite of tiled render

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
mrDan
Authentication code: 6789

Need .exr support for simple composite of tiled render

Post by mrDan »

Hi all,

I've recently been exploring ways to quickly and easily combine tiled half-float .exr renders with a simple lightweight command line based tool approach. I have access to Nuke and various other compositing solutions however taking a license from another user for this seems like overkill for the simplicity of the task.

The best candidate so far seems to be ImageMagick which is great because it's globbing support keeps the syntax simple. As far as I can tell, to merge an entire folder of .exr files the command would simply be:

path/to/convert.exe *.exr -layers flatten output.exr

However I cannot for the life of me find a compiled binary that includes support for .exr and I don't have the chops to compile from source code. Even if I did it seems to be a little 'involved' from what I can gather.

Can anybody possibly give me some pointers on where I might be able to find the resources I need to get up and running?

Many thanks.

Dan.

Windows7 64bit
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: Need .exr support for simple composite of tiled render

Post by snibgo »

I run Windows 7. The pre-compiled IM v6.8.5 seems to handle EXR. At any rate, the following work (which doesn't prove it is correct, of course):

Code: Select all

convert rose: r.exr
convert r.exr p.png
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
mrDan

Post by mrDan »

Thanks, can you tell me if you see .exr listed when you run:

identify.exe -list format
mrDan

Post by mrDan »

I have just downloaded and installed ImageMagick-6.8.5-Q16

When I try to convert any .exr files, I get this error:

"convert.exe: no decode delegate for this image format" `_tile_5x17_20x20_render.1.exr' @ error/constitute.c/ReadImage/550.

and it does not show EXR or OpenEXR when I run:

indentify -list format
mrDan

Post by mrDan »

Actually, I get that error when I try and use the -layers flatten command.

If I just run (as in your example):

convert a.png a.exr
Where a.png is a valid .png file that I have saved out of Photoshop

I get no errors, however the output .exr file is still a .png it's just been renamed .exr

Perhaps that is also the case with your test?
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

"identify -list format" doesn't list exr.

Ahh, that's interesting. The file I created, r.exr, seems to be a PPM file, and starts with:

Code: Select all

P6
70 46
I know nothing about exr, but that seems unlikely. More testing revels this behaviour happens for any random collection of junk characters as the extension, eg "convert rose: r.poi" gives the same result.

Sorry if I raised your hopes.

I don't have any exr files. If you can point me to one, I can try it out on various versions of IM, on Windows. But I now suppose none of them will work.
mrDan

Post by mrDan »

snibgo wrote: I don't have any exr files. If you can point me to one, I can try it out on various versions of IM, on Windows. But I now suppose none of them will work.
I think you're right, but you can find a sample here if you'd like to try:
https://code.ros.org/trac/opencv/export ... morial.exr
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I tried "convert memorial.exr m.png" with IM v6.7.9, 6.8.0, 6.8.1, 6.8.2, 6.8.3, 6.8.4 and 6.8.5. Sorry, no luck.
mrDan

Post by mrDan »

snibgo wrote:I tried "convert memorial.exr m.png" with IM v6.7.9, 6.8.0, 6.8.1, 6.8.2, 6.8.3, 6.8.4 and 6.8.5. Sorry, no luck.
Thanks for your help.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Works for us under Linux. You need the OpenEXR delegate library. It is not built-in by default for the Windows binary distributions.
mrDan

Post by mrDan »

magick wrote:Works for us under Linux. You need the OpenEXR delegate library. It is not built-in by default for the Windows binary distributions.
Thanks for the info.

Is that something that's needed pre-compilation? Or is it just a case of procuring the appropriate dll and placing it somewhere?
mrDan

Post by mrDan »

Could I just get a yes/no answer as to whether or not exr support is something I can add without having to compile IM. I'm guessing not, but there has been enough ambiguity in the replies to make me ask once more.

Thanks,

Dan
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Sorry, I don't know the definitive answer. I think you need to recompile. However, the dynamic version uses DLL files, so maybe if you get hold of the appropriate DLL file (perhaps named CORE_RL_exr_.dll), that's all you need. Even then, you might need to tweak the delegates file.
mrDan

Post by mrDan »

snibgo wrote:Sorry, I don't know the definitive answer. I think you need to recompile. However, the dynamic version uses DLL files, so maybe if you get hold of the appropriate DLL file (perhaps named CORE_RL_exr_.dll), that's all you need. Even then, you might need to tweak the delegates file.
Thanks snibgo.