Keep color correction when converting

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
wiseman
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Keep color correction when converting

Post by wiseman »

snibgo wrote: 2019-10-04T11:46:12-07:00

Code: Select all

%DCRAW% -6 -w -T -O o.tiff original_DSC180307_0853.DNG

%DCRAW% -6 -w -T -O c.tiff color_corrected_DSC180307_0853.DNG
The tiffs are slightly larger than the JPGs: both are 8288x5520. These tiffs are almost identical.
The output of the above commands I have uploaded to : https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share ... v1eccEeHYN

Is there a way I can get a jpg or tiff exactly matching the "color_corrected_DSC180307_0853.DNG " file on the picture uploaded?

Either using dcraw or any other opensource or commercial products or adobe products? The extraction should be command line based.

Thanks
wiseman

Post by wiseman »

snibgo wrote: 2019-10-04T11:46:12-07:00 The two files each contain one Color Filter Array, and a full-size JPEG. The "color corrected" version has almost the same CFA image, but the JPEG is clearly edited. Exiftool shows editing has been done by Adobe tools.

Hi snibgo,

You mean to say the jpeg preview file has been edited and attached rather than creating from the dng file? Could you please tell me which exiftool metadata you are referring too?

Thank you
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

wiseman wrote:You mean to say the jpeg preview file has been edited and attached rather than creating from the dng file?
I don't know what made the JPEG preview. But it is clearly different to the raw image, more "corrected".
wiseman wrote:Could you please tell me which exiftool metadata you are referring too?

Code: Select all

exiftool color_corrected_DSC180307_0853.DNG |grep History
This shows Adobe DNG converter, and Photoshop Camera Raw, and Lightroom, have been used.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
wiseman

Post by wiseman »

Hi snibgo,

Right. Whatever changes done to the dng file shows up only in Adobe bridge and Photoshop Camera Raw.

When I create jpg from the updated dng, the changes are not getting into the imagemagick conversion.

for example, let us say, I have a dng file. When I open it in PhotoShop Camera Raw and move the sliders to increase brightness etc and save them to the dng file.

Later on when I create jpg file from the updated dng file using imagemagick (or dcraw), still I'm getting jpg output from the original dng file and not from the updated version of the dng file.

Is it expected behavior?

Anyway, I could create a jpg out of dng's updated version?

Thanks
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

IM can (via a delegate such as dcraw) read the raw image from the DNG. Exiftool can extract the JPEG from the DNG file.

I don't have Adobe tools. I expect they can read the raw image from the DNG file, and apply transformations, and save the result to a format such as 16 bit/channel/pixel TIFF.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
wiseman

Post by wiseman »

IM able to read the raw image. But it misses the corrections to the dng files made in Adobe Photoshop camera raw.

Whatever adjustments made towards brightness, sharpness of the dng file and saved are not getting incorporated to the IM generated jpg file.

Thank you