How do I shift the hue of a black png?

IMagick is a native PHP extension to create and modify images using the ImageMagick API. ImageMagick Studio LLC did not write nor does it maintain the IMagick extension, however, IMagick users are welcome to discuss the extension here.
madvillager
Authentication code: 1152

How do I shift the hue of a black png?

Post by madvillager »

hello friends!

Imagick newbie here...

having difficulty accomplishing something simple: load a black png and shift its color before outputting to screen.

platform: OSX Mojave

Code: Select all

php --ri imagick
returns

imagick module => enabled
imagick module version => 3.4.3
imagick classes => Imagick, ImagickDraw, ImagickPixel, ImagickPixelIterator, ImagickKernel
Imagick compiled with ImageMagick version => ImageMagick 7.0.8-14 Q16 x86_64 2018-10-25 https://imagemagick.org
Imagick using ImageMagick library version => ImageMagick 7.0.8-14 Q16 x86_64 2018-10-25 https://imagemagick.org
etc.

my PHP:

$dir = dirname(__FILE__);
$imageFolder = "/images/";
$faceImageFile = "face.png";

$face = new Imagick();
$face->readImage($dir . $imageFolder . $faceImageFile);

$face->colorizeImage('rgba(255, 0, 0, 0)', 1.0);

$face->writeImage();
header('Content-type: image/png');
echo $face;
throws an error

Unrecognized color string in /Users/bolyro/Sites/crestia/setColorValue.php:12 Stack trace: #0 /Users/bolyro/Sites/crestia/setColorValue.php(12): Imagick->colorizeimage('rgba(255, 0, 0,...', 1) #1 {main} thrown in...
changing code to this

$face->colorizeImage('#AA0000', 1.0);
throws same error.

i'm not married to the colorizeimage() function... simply want to shift the hue :)

btw: code works fine displaying the image on the screen if i remove the colorizeImage line. so there's apparently no problem with Imagick install.
fmw42

Re: How do I shift the hue of a black png?

Post by fmw42 »

It would be helpful to have your input image to know exactly what you are trying to do.

Note that black has no hue, so you cannot shift its hue. If you want to replace black with some other color you can do that.

It is possible that Imagick colorizeImage does not recognize transparent colors as rgba(...). You seem to be trying to colorize with transparent red? Is that what you want?

ImageMagick command line -colorize does not colorize with transparency. For example this fails

convert lena.png -alpha on -channel rgba -fill "rgba(255,0,0,0)" -colorize 100% result.png
and produces a fully opaque red image.

What you can do is colorize to opaque red and then set the alpha channel to 0 for full transparency.

convert lena.png -fill "rgb(255,0,0)" -colorize 100 -alpha on -channel a -evaluate set 0 +channel result.png
You will have to look up the equivalent commands in Imagick. Sorry, I do not use that API.
madvillager

Post by madvillager »

here's a visual for my question with sample graphic:

http://barrettalley.com/imagick.html

photoshop's hue/saturation filter was used to accomplish the above. with an adjustment to hue, saturation, and lightness with "colorize" turned on.

i understand @fmw42's point of not being able to colorize with transparency, but even changing my code to

$face->colorizeImage('rgb(255,0,0)', 1.0);
still throws the same error... and the transparency question would be a non-issue using the hexadecimal notation that i tried as well.

i am new to imagick as well as command-line imagemagick so my question remains...
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Use the equivalent of -fill ... -opaque

convert partitor.png -fill "rgba(19,123,229,1)" -opaque "rgba(0,0,0,1)" result.png
Note that you are changing opaque colors in a transparent image. So you need to specify the colors with alpha=1 for opaque.

See http://us3.php.net/manual/en/imagick.op ... timage.php
madvillager

Post by madvillager »

I'm looking for a more versatile solution. As far as I understand opaquePaintImage() it's looking for a specific color to change. What if the "black png" actually contains variations of blacks (#000000, #012103) and opacities (100%, 88%)? I don't know the imagick jargon (yet), but in layman's terms the function I am looking for would "tint" or "color shift" all the colors in the png file at once. It wouldn't need a target color/opacity.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

I don't know why...

$face->colorizeImage('#AA0000', 1.0);
... doesn't work. It seems to comply with the documentation. I suggest you try it with double-quotes, named colours such as red, and so on.

I suspect alternatives such as tintImage would give the same problem.

Check your software is reasonably up to date.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

What if the "black png" actually contains variations of blacks (#000000, #012103) and opacities (100%, 88%)?
You add -fuzz, which I believe is built into the opaquePaintImage()
madvillager

Post by madvillager »

colorizeImage() and tintImage() are working now!

I had to add a third parameter "true" like this:

$image->tintImage('rgba(255,0,0)', 1, true);

@Damack addresses this issue here: https://github.com/mkoppanen/imagick/issues/182

(Though I still don't understand why I needed "true"... perhaps because I have the latest version of imagick?)

and thank you @fmw42 - I see the -fuzz parameter now for opaquePaintImage().