Thank you!

Post here to shower the ImageMagick developers with praise or discuss how you could have done a better job if you developed ImageMagick. Or talk about how Photoshop is better than ImageMagick. Even complain about how no one answered your postings in the Users forum. Venting and musings welcomed here.
aditsu

Thank you!

Post by aditsu »

I registered just to say thanks for this wonderful tool! It has saved me lots of time and nerves, many times.
Some recent examples:
- I needed to generate thumbnails for various files, from a java program. It was easy for images, but not for pdf files. I found a pdf rendering library, and it worked well for some pdfs but failed for others (depending on the format and content). Finally, since this was only running on a linux server anyway, I decided to make use of imagemagick (through im4java), and it worked like a charm! The generated commands were something like:
convert "file.pdf[0]" -resize 96x96 -colorspace RGB file.jpg
- I extracted a lot of frames from a movie, and wanted to make them lighter. I planned to use kipi-plugins (from gwenview), but couldn't find any option to do that. With imagemagick, I could not only make them lighter, but also crop some black edges and convert to jpg at the same time:
mogrify -crop 827x480+23+0 -gamma 1.5 -format jpg *.png
- I received a multiple-image tif file representing a fax. When I opened it with an image viewer, it only showed the first image, and it was distorted too - 2 times too wide (or perhaps 2 times too short). I tried with gimp, and it recognized the images, but still distorted, and then I didn't know what to do with them. Ideally I want to put them all in one multiple-page document.. such as a pdf. And then it hit me!
mogrify -format pdf file.tif
I thought "well it probably can't generate pdf" but I tried anyway. And the result was ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! Every image occupies a whole page, with the correct proportion and size.