Getting into the field of what you guys do?

Post here to shower the ImageMagick developers with praise or discuss how you could have done a better job if you developed ImageMagick. Or talk about how Photoshop is better than ImageMagick. Even complain about how no one answered your postings in the Users forum. Venting and musings welcomed here.
BryantMoore
Authentication code: 8675308

Getting into the field of what you guys do?

Post by BryantMoore »

I want to pursue an education in the types of things covered on this forum. I admire all of you for all the hard work and effort you've put into all of this and I want to be able to help out. My problem is that I have an 8th grade math level and a GED. I live in Kentucky and I would most likely go to Jefferson Community Technical College for something like this since it's pretty close to where I live. I could easily take some high school math courses to get me ready for college, I'm nothing if not a quick learner, it's just that my weakest area is mathematics even though I'm highly interested in mathematics. :P

So the gist of all this is; what do I need to do to start a career in the field of digital signal processing? :)
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Getting into the field of what you guys do?

Post by fmw42 »

I suggest you get your math background built up a bit by taking algebra courses at a minimum. Then take a few computer courses so you know the basics of computer processing, coding, computer graphics and image processing. Some or all of these can you do by buying the right books and reading on your own.
BryantMoore
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by BryantMoore »

fmw42 wrote:I suggest you get your math background built up a bit by taking algebra courses at a minimum. Then take a few computer courses so you know the basics of computer processing, coding, computer graphics and image processing. Some or all of these can you do by buying the right books and reading on your own.
http://www.khanacademy.org/

How do you feel about this website? I've been here before and it's helped me out. I could probably teach myself most of this stuff and then take some courses to reinforce it. I really want to learn functional programming and the workings of Unix. :)
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

Online classes are becoming very popular. However I have had no experience with any to comment about one vs another.
BradChesney79
Authentication code: 67789

Post by BradChesney79 »

The most important thing.
Is this your passion? Would you do it for free if your shelter, food, and air needs were met?

Even then, it could be a long road as learning UNIX and the coding are super general terms.
On that alone it fails as a good goal because it is not clear enough.

I would start with basic C++ programming with an emphasis on secure programming practices.

That is just a suggestion. But, choose something defined and modular to accomplish. You can program and know very little about the platform you are working on, unfortunately.