I know they're there...but who the heck is using ImageMagick

Post here to shower the ImageMagick developers with praise or discuss how you could have done a better job if you developed ImageMagick. Or talk about how Photoshop is better than ImageMagick. Even complain about how no one answered your postings in the Users forum. Venting and musings welcomed here.
bobschulman
Authentication code: 6789

I know they're there...but who the heck is using ImageMagick

Post by bobschulman »

Folks,

ImageMagick is certifiable Good Stuff, and it's been around for dog's years, yet when one looks to see what Big Name projects use it (either in open source-land or in the commercial realm), I can't find any named uses.

I have to believe the uses exist...we just don't see them. Does anyone know who/what/where uses ImageMagick as a critical piece of their environment or toolchain? It'd be more than interesting to know.

Thanks.

bob
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: I know they're there...but who the heck is using ImageMa

Post by anthony »

more often than not it is hidden behind the scenes.

Web pages, and Video Processing packages will often make use of it, sometimes only 'if available'.

I myself have come across programs using the "convert" command, often when I least expect it.

It is one of those packages that do things, and is "just there" when scripts need to batch convert or process images in some way.
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
Wolfgang Woehl

Post by Wolfgang Woehl »

Cinemaslides (I'm the author) is a tool to create Digital Cinema Packages (DCPs) from all kinds of images -- slideshows really, including movies (rapid slideshows). ImageMagick is the central tool in there for conforms, resizes, color transforms etc. No way to do it that simple without IM.
Scud

Post by Scud »

A lot of websites use it.

See a website automatically convert an image you upload to a thumbnail? It's probably ImageMagick, sometimes working alongside with stuff like PHP GD.
Werty

Post by Werty »

http://www.reallusion.com/ uses it heavily in all their products like iClone and CrazyTalk..

...without mentioning IM at all anywhere :?
Windows 7 user
rossdv8

Post by rossdv8 »

I noticed when I wanted to run a script and needed a version of IM not available in the UBUNTU repos, that the uninstall of my previous version removed another program called XvidCap, which I used for screen video capture.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

rossdv8 wrote:I noticed when I wanted to run a script and needed a version of IM not available in the UBUNTU repos, that the uninstall of my previous version removed another program called XvidCap, which I used for screen video capture.

That would be very strange. I do not see how a normal remove of IM would remove any other software unless it was a delegate used by IM and installed from an IM binary.
glennrp

Post by glennrp »

xvidcap seems to depend on imagemagick. I don't know why, but this is in the distribution and
could explain what happened to you:

debian/control:Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, scrollkeeper, imagemagick
mortoray

Post by mortoray »

Our new service http://redid.net/ depends heavily on ImageMagick. We're using it to provide on-demand image transformations to simplify web development.