using a transparency

Use this forum for comments, suggestions or problems related to the online ImageMagick Studio web interface @ https://imagemagick.org/MagickStudio.
gollywobbers
Authentication code: 6789

using a transparency

Post by gollywobbers »

For years I was able to generate a transparent image, "decorate" with a colored frame and then click decorate, leaving a border surrounding the transparency which then could be composited with an image, glitter, etc. to make a transparent, bordered frame. Now, (after a few years away) if I attempt this method, the whole image, even though transparent, is colored in. It doesn't seem to work -- what am I doing incorrectly? Many thanks JoAnn
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: using a transparency

Post by fmw42 »

Are you using the official Magick Studio from http://www.imagemagick.org/MagickStudio
gollywobbers

Post by gollywobbers »

Thank you for your response. I tried using that version (the link you posted), also, and transparency does not work there either; I have been a client of Arbor domains for many years and prefer to use that IM site because the with the link you posted there are tons of "foreign" cookies invading my privacy. Arbor has always been reliable and I have never had ANY real problems with them and have used that version of IM for many years, also, even through there are frequent problems. If need be, and if tech support is included, I might be interested in purchasing my own IM site.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

gollywobbers wrote:For years I was able to generate a transparent image, "decorate" with a colored frame and then click decorate, leaving a border surrounding the transparency which then could be composited with an image, glitter, etc. to make a transparent, bordered frame. Now, (after a few years away) if I attempt this method, the whole image, even though transparent, is colored in. It doesn't seem to work -- what am I doing incorrectly? Many thanks JoAnn
Please provide more information about your exact steps (so some one can try to reproduce your problem) and whether your glitter image is an animation or a single frame image and what image format.
gollywobbers

Post by gollywobbers »

There are several attempts as follows: first, I made a transparent image of 400x400 (or whatever - the dimensions didn't matter), added a "color" for a "border" of 5x5. When I clicked to decorate, the whole image was colored, instead of only the border. I tried at least a dozen times and could not achieve a colored border (or mask) on the transparent image. The only time this happens is when I use a transparency (and the image IS there)! The entire image is colored. So I never reach success to go and composite a glitter, or background border. Now, in saying this, I am able to generate a transparency, annotate and then composite my glitter or whatever with no problem. It is only when I try and do a border on a transparency. This has been happening for quite some time - I merely became so frustrated and quit using IM for a while. This is what I am doing: http://www.gollywobbers.net/index.html Thanks for your assistance. JoAnn
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Looks like a bug to me. Perhaps it is running IM 7 which has the alpha reversed. I will forward to the IM developer.
gollywobbers

Post by gollywobbers »

Thanks so much!! I am 70 years old and these little projects of mine help keep my mind active and the hours full; your assistance is appreciated! JoAnn
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Look for a fix to this problem later today. Thanks.
gollywobbers

Post by gollywobbers »

You are my hero!! Many thanks!
gollywobbers

Post by gollywobbers »

I tried the "fix" (2:45 pm edt) and it isn't fixed. Also, I have been trying to use the "draw" function, loading an image, then trying to work with "ellipse"; however, the image does not appear on the "draw" page to be manipulated. I have used three different versions and am beginning to wonder if Image magick is no longer functioning for public use these days. It is very frustrating and I wish they would just make this fact known. I have been a client of Arbor Domains, as mentioned, and am more than willing to PAY actual money for the ability to use this service which has functioned properly in the past. Unfortunately, a couple of years ago it became so troublesome I stopped using it all together. If it is NOT available for use by the public, it should be removed from Arbor Hosting or be adjusted to function properly, instead of being offered as a free service. At least we would know where we stand. IM reminds me of my one and only ex-husband --- dysfunctional and beyond help!
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

gollywobbers wrote:I tried the "fix" (2:45 pm edt) and it isn't fixed. Also, I have been trying to use the "draw" function, loading an image, then trying to work with "ellipse"; however, the image does not appear on the "draw" page to be manipulated. I have used three different versions and am beginning to wonder if Image magick is no longer functioning for public use these days. It is very frustrating and I wish they would just make this fact known. I have been a client of Arbor Domains, as mentioned, and am more than willing to PAY actual money for the ability to use this service which has functioned properly in the past. Unfortunately, a couple of years ago it became so troublesome I stopped using it all together. If it is NOT available for use by the public, it should be removed from Arbor Hosting or be adjusted to function properly, instead of being offered as a free service. At least we would know where we stand. IM reminds me of my one and only ex-husband --- dysfunctional and beyond help!
Magick did not say when it would be available. Perhaps he has not fixed it yet. It might not be done until later this evening his time. Also it would not go over to Arbor unless they get it from the Magick Studio official site, which could take days or weeks until they update. You need to contact them to upgrade or deal with any issues on their side. The only changes that will show immediately will be on the official web site, once the fix is made.

The Imagemagick developers have no control on any other source of this tool.

see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17719
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

gollywobbers wrote: Also, I have been trying to use the "draw" function, loading an image, then trying to work with "ellipse"; however, the image does not appear on the "draw" page to be manipulated.
There seems to be a problem with the draw ellipse, at least for me. It works, but one needs to use correct coordinates and not the default values.

However, the image does not show on the draw page until after you select your coordinates and push the draw button. Then you see the selected image and the ellipse over it. I do not know if it ever showed on the draw page before selecting coordinates and pushing the draw button. That may just be the way it is.

Here is what I did:

Image:

Open/View in MagickStudio:

Select Draw Ellipse and coordinates:
Note the Translate to the center of the image at 128,128. Then the coordinates are 0,0 (for the translated center), 50,25 for the xradius, yradius, and 0,360 for the full around ellipse.

Results after draw:
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

> However, the image does not show on the draw page until after you select your coordinates and push the draw button.

The MagickStudio web site @ http://www.imagemagick.org/MagickStudio is not responsive-- you do need to push the Draw button before an eclipse is drawn. We do have a more modern web interface to ImageMagick @ http://jqmagick.imagemagick.org/.
gollywobbers

Post by gollywobbers »

Thank you for your response, even tough it makes no sense to me as I am well aware of coordinate configurations. I have decided that continuing to waste time on IM is fruitless and will find other projects to keep my mind going. At 70, and being disabled, there is enough stress in my life without playing email tag a number of times a day and not being able to go to the horses mouth. I first became aware of IM in 1998, with my first internet experience - WEB-TV. Mr. Christy was the talk of the times due to his generosity and kindness in providing a free service for us to use. That was years ago, the web-tv was replaced with a computer, and service has gone down the tubes (and/or Mr. Christy (or his minions) don't care to supply a quality product any longer). I have offered to pay an additional fee at Arbor Domains in an effort to ensure quality performance from IM; I have made numerous attempts to buy the software (if affordable and tech support was included), to no avail. It is come to the point where I will give in to the lack of commitment and customer service and go my own way. So thank you for at least making an effort to answer nuisance email. No further responses are required. JoAnn
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Arbor has no control over the ImageMagick product MagickStudio. They are not the developers. The responses from "magick" are right from the MagickStudio developer. I have passed these issues to him directly as a courtesy to you so that he is aware of them as quickly as possible. And he has answered them in as timely a manner as he can. My responses here were to try to help you, though I do not know the MagickStudio product very well and to confirm any bugs you might have encountered and report my confirmations to magick.

I have just checked and the transparent issue seems to be fixed for me on the official MagickStudio web site.

Once bugs are fixed on the official MagickStudio web site, your Arbor hosts will have to access it for their web site. I do not know how that happens. If you like, you can contact them to tell them that this bug has been fixed. If not, then

We are sorry to see you leave.

The Imagemagick Team