Windows 10 Error

ImageMagickObject is a Windows COM+ interface to ImageMagick. COM+, Visual Basic, and Delphi users should post to this discussion group.
David
Authentication code: 1151

Windows 10 Error

Post by David »

I have a Microsoft Access application that uses Visual Basic (VBA) and includes ImageMagick. The application worked properly for years in my Windows 7 computer.

Now I have a new Windows 10 computer. I installed my old version of Microsoft Office 2007 and downloaded and installed the latest version of ImageMagick.

All of my Access applications that use VBA work fine on the new computer except for the one that uses ImageMagick.
Specifically, I get “Run-time error ‘429’, ActiveX component can’t create object” on this line of code:
Set img = CreateObject("ImageMagickObject.MagickImage.1")

Since it worked before then there must be something about Windows 10, or about what I did during installation that causes the error. And I admit that it’s been so long since I set up ImageMagick on the old computer that I don’t remember what I did, so there’s a good chance it’s me.

Here are some things that I worried about that might be the problem.

>Should I have used the static or dynamic version of ImageMagick?

>What boxes should I have checked during ImageMagick installation?

>Is there something else I should do to register ImageMagick or somehow make it available to the application?

>Is there some Windows 10 Permission, or Check Box, or Security level, or Option that needs a certain setting?

>In the Visual Basic Editor under Tools > Reference; What references should I have checked?

>What other things that I don’t know about could cause the problem and how do I correct them?

Thanks,
David
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Windows 10 Error

Post by fmw42 »

I am not a Windows user, but what version of IM did you try to install? Was it from binary or source? Did you see the note about which Visual C++ to use at http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binar ... hp#windows
David

Post by David »

Thank you for getting back so quickly.

This is the ImageMagick version I installed: ImageMagick-7.0.1-7-Q16-x64-dll
It was the first one on the list. However, I'm not confident I picked the right one. Which one should I use?
By the way, when I clicked your link I did notice that there is a newer version available.

David
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Sorry, I know nothing about ActiveX etc. I think the installation procedure has a box for this.

In your circumstances, I would install IM v6, not IM v7. Windows v6 binaries are at http://legacy.imagemagick.org/script/bi ... hp#windows

Depending on how old your Windows 7 installation is, you may need to make changes to your scripts for compatibility with more recent IM v6.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
David

Post by David »

Snibgo,

Thanks. Per your suggestion I uninstalled IM v7 and installed IM v6. I installed the first one in the list: ImageMagick-6.9.4-7-Q16-x64-dll.exe
Alas, it didn't help. I still have the error.

David
jqralph

Post by jqralph »

Do you have the x32 version of Access installed? this would require the x32 version of the ImageMagickObject.