ImageMagick has stopped working

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
lion369
Authentication code: 6789

ImageMagick has stopped working

Post by lion369 »

Hello.

When I tried to encrypt or decrypt an image using ImageMagick CommandPrompt, I faced an issue.
Pop-up OS window appear: <imagemagick studio library and utility programs has stopped working>

When I use simple : <<convert info.jpg encipher pass_phrase.txt info_hidden.png>> or <<convert info_hidden.png -decipher pass_phrase.txt info_restored.png>> it's all work OK.
But when i started to use some "functions": <-transpose> <-flip> pop-up OS window appears.

My task is to define (to decode) hidden message in a noisy image. Please help!

lion369

Re: ImageMagick has stopped working

Post by lion369 »

dlemstra

Post by dlemstra »

Can you post a link to your image?
.NET + ImageMagick = Magick.NET https://github.com/dlemstra/Magick.NET, @MagickNET, Donate
lion369

Post by lion369 »

fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

I think he wants your input image so he can run your command. Also it would good to identify your IM version and platform, but I assume the platform is Windows.
lion369

Post by lion369 »

I think no. If it's so, it would report an issue "no such file or directory" or "some didn't recognize command". But I checked the command is true, I follow the instructions below

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/transform/#encipher

At first steps everything had gone normal. but when I reached <-transpose> command, problem appeared. It looks like program can't perform command because of it can't connect to the library or tools.. I'm not sure that I installed program right way. I don't how it works, if I install program, how it works with CommandPrompt? what is the scheme. And is there some GUI for IM that all things in CommandPrompt to be possible perform in GUI??

ImageMagick-6.8.8-10-Q16-x64-static.exe
OS Microsoft Windows 7 x64
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

What is your exact command line? Can you post your image info.jpg and your pass_phrase.txt file so we can use your images to test and verify that the images are not corrupt in some way?

The following works just fine for me on IM 6.8.8.10 Q16 Mac OSX (from Anthony's examples)

Code: Select all

convert message.gif -encipher pass_phrase.txt -depth 8 png24:message_hidden.png
convert message_hidden.png -decipher pass_phrase.txt message_restored.gif
This also works fine:

convert message.gif -encipher pass_phrase.txt -depth 8 -flop png24:message_hidden.png
convert message_hidden.png -flop -decipher pass_phrase.txt message_restored.gif
This works, but the resulting image is padded at the bottom with white, probably due to the transpose of a non-square image. This looks like a possible bug. But I do get a result and no error message.

convert message.gif -encipher pass_phrase.txt -depth 8 -transpose png24:message_hidden.png
convert message_hidden.png -transpose -decipher pass_phrase.txt message_restored.gif
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

Your screenshot http://f-lite.ru/lfp/s001.radikal.ru/i1 ... a2.jpg/htm shows you have the wrong syntax. "-encipher" must be followed by a filename. See http://www.imagemagick.org/script/comma ... p#encipher
And is there some GUI for IM that all things in CommandPrompt to be possible perform in GUI??
NIP2 will soon provide a GUI to most or all IM commands. It doesn't yet include "-encipher".

See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25219 and http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
lion369

Post by lion369 »

Thanks all of you for the attention. More important task is I have to solve a problem:

Steganography problem

There are 2 images task04-original.png and task04-stega.png I don't know how to upload them so not to corrupt content. (maybe by e-mail)

task04-stega.png contains hidden message (code) - maybe in text format, may be an image with the code written on it, I don't know.
Task is to get hidden message. I don't know how ((((
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

You should be able to upload to dropbox.com (public folder) and not get corruptions of your files. Then post links here. If that does not work, then I will provide my email address so you can send me your image and text file.

However, if you have only the original and the result, there is no way for us to know what method was used to create the encryption/encipher. There are lots of techniques.

I assumed you were using -encipher to create your own encrypted file and so had the key (text file) that was used to create it.
dlemstra

Post by dlemstra »

We can reproduce the crash and we are working on a fix. Thank you for reporting this.
.NET + ImageMagick = Magick.NET https://github.com/dlemstra/Magick.NET, @MagickNET, Donate
lion369

Post by lion369 »

fmw42 wrote:You should be able to upload to dropbox.com (public folder) and not get corruptions of your files. Then post links here. If that does not work, then I will provide my email address so you can send me your image and text file.

However, if you have only the original and the result, there is no way for us to know what method was used to create the encryption/encipher. There are lots of techniques.

I assumed you were using -encipher to create your own encrypted file and so had the key (text file) that was used to create it.
Files are

Original - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzY6sc ... sp=sharing
Stega - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzY6sc ... sp=sharing

Unfortunately I have no key.. If I will it will be so easy, because of that task stated without any key, just two images, but I think you will figure out the method as take a look to the images...
On stega image there is white line on top left corner... Thanks.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

I do not think we can help without the key. I suspect the key is in the stripe on the top left, but I have no clue how to interpret that.

If you do a compare of the two images and get the diff image, you will see that they are different almost throughout.

compare -metric rmse task04-original.png task04-stega.png diff.png
Even the alpha channels are different.
lion369

Post by lion369 »

Thank you for your support. There is nothing surprising, the problem is "hacking" competition task - Hackathon... The competition was over few days ago. As you guess I can't solve the problem, but the solution interested me, and i continued search for it. But it announced that the way solving problems will be discuss at the seminar for a few days later... If you are interested also, i can share the method and solution there or by e-mail... Anyway greatthanks for your attention, operativeness, for all of you!
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Yes, please let us know the solution. Thanks