Win7-64 , ImageMagick

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
ceepea
Authentication code: 1151

Win7-64 , ImageMagick

Post by ceepea »

at first this was going to be a "WT?" post but I discovered the problem. Still going to post it in case others come across the issue of convert not seeming to work from the command line.

Windows7 has a built in 'convert' command, so you need to either specify the full path to the IM convert or change the path settings so the IM path comes before the c:\Windows\System32\convert.exe and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\convert.exe directories. If you change the path, make sure you have either a batch file to reset the path upon each reboot (or need) or change the path in the Computer Advanced Settings.
Bonzo

Re: Win7-64 , ImageMagick

Post by Bonzo »

All windows versions have the convert command. I have never had a problem as I have always let Imagemagick add the path to the environmental variables on install. I think the problem comes when people prevent Imagemagick doing that.

But it is a good point to raise this again ceepea so others will learn.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

I believe that you can also just rename IM convert.exe to something like imconvert.exe.
ceepea
Authentication code: 1151

Post by ceepea »

Bonzo wrote:All windows versions have the convert command. I have never had a problem as I have always let Imagemagick add the path to the environmental variables on install. I think the problem comes when people prevent Imagemagick doing that.

But it is a good point to raise this again ceepea so others will learn.
checked other pc's that are running versions prior to W7sp1. This is just a supposition, but i think in W7sp1 the priority of the Windows directories are protected. By the other pc's , the IM directory is listed towards the start (if not the start) of the PATH envioronment, but not so with the W7sp1 pc.
If i do another IM install, I'll try to remember to note the PATH after the install.