The available apple-darwin bianry download.

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
BuildSmart

The available apple-darwin bianry download.

Post by BuildSmart »

From the ImageMagick download page the following binary distribution http://www.imagemagick.org/download/bin ... 8.0.tar.gz is not an acceptable or compliant build for general use.

While it may work properly in Mac OSX 10.4.7/8 (the OS it was built on) it has unpredictable results in previous OS versions.

In 10.4.1/2/3 on PPC Mac's it segfaults due to gross API differences and you didn't preserve the byte order or consider any endian issues, in 10.4.4/5/6 (Intel or PPC) it general works but on large PDF's it crashes with a bus error and this I believe is related to the API differences in 10.4.7/8 that aren't backwards compatible.

The sad part about the whole package is that you cannot link against the ImageMagick libraries because dependant libraries are not included so it makes it a basic functional installation without the ability to expand or utilize it in a more functional manner.

I've generated a build of 6.3.3 with many options (more to add when I can get the configure script straightened out) and I built it in the ADE so it's compatible and compliant with 10.4.0 to 10.4.9, I'd like to provide the binaries for download and will include all of the depenancies generated for optimal useage and enviroment compliance and allow linking without dependancy issues.

Now, to the person who generated that download binary build, while the purchase of the ADE for building isn't really cost effective since it cost $9,000.00 USD, I've been toying with a solution that seems to be just as effective and only requires a little time to set up but does require the 10.4.1 Universal installer DVD (or the beta 10.4 Univeral Installer DVD).

If you wish to take advantage of this just send me a private mesage and I'll help you set it up.
magick
Site Admin

Re: The available apple-darwin bianry download.

Post by magick »

If you post a URL to your ImageMagick distribution for Mac OS X, we will place them on the ImageMagick FTP site.

If you have some suggestions about improving the ImageMagick build for Mac OS X, post instructions here or post to the ImageMagick Wizards at http://www.imagemagick.org/script/contact.php.

If you have connections with Apple, see if you can convince them to give the ImageMagick project a copy of ADE for free to help us support the ImageMagick Mac OS X distribution.
BuildSmart

Post by BuildSmart »

Unfortunately apple doesn't give the ADE away and since my retirement they don't give me anything for free.

As soon as I get a binary I'm satisfied with I'll private msg you a link to retrieve it for the FTP server.

I do have additional changes in configure.ac and some macros I'd like to test however I need someone to autoconf/aclocal it for me cause it fails in OSX due to version/incompatibility issues and it really shouldn't take all that long to process but without the ability to perform this task I'm stuck waiting.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Post your patches here and we will generate new configure files and post a URL so you can download them to test.