import not capturing overlays.

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
ianw

import not capturing overlays.

Post by ianw »

I don't know if this is an enhancement request or a bug report, so I'm doing an enhancement request for now!

Autodesk suggested to reduce some stability problems we had in Maya that we turn on support in X for Color Index Overlay planes (in the NVIDIA driver, this is activated with the option CIOverlay in the xorg.conf). Unfortunately it looks like import does not support capturing overlays, as any overlay section of a window is drawn with all-black pixels, while non-overlay sections are captured correctly. (x11vnc has the same problem unless the -8to24 option is used) Gnome's built-in screenshot application captures these correctly, but it doesn't support capturing regions of the screen like import does, only windows. Gimp also works, but it's cumbersome to bring up a full editing app when all you want is to save a quick snapshot of a region of the screen. Even olde 'xv' captures these regions correctly, with help from some patches on its site. Is there any plan to add overlay capture support to Imagemagick?
magick
Site Admin

Re: import not capturing overlays.

Post by magick »

Try
  • import -screen myscreen.png
ianw

Post by ianw »

Unfortunately, same result. import -screen captures the entire screen (we just want to capture the portion we draw with import's cursor), and it's also capturing without the overlays.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Did you try -frame?
ianw

Post by ianw »

Unfortunately, the same result: an image that looks like a screen capture of where I selected except for the overlay sections, which are captured as black pixels. I also tried options like, say, -depth, though I suspect that's related more to the post-capture images as they're writte.
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by anthony »

The overlay sections may not be on the actual display frame buffer. which is why IM failes to capture them. they may be specially handled by your computers video chip, whcih would need specialized code to extract.

For example few screen captures I've seen captures cursours, whcih im most cases is a good thing. You also can rarely capture direct video windows.

An exception to this I have seen is capturing the output of a virtual machine that is running the application. The virtual simplified the video handling and sanatizes the display to a form that can be captured. I have used this technique to grab images from some 3D games.
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/