XMP metadata

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
karginartur

XMP metadata

Post by karginartur »

I'm using Image Magick to convert EPS to PNG. Is there a way to retain the XMP metadatas stored in EPS?
magick
Site Admin

Re: XMP metadata

Post by magick »

ImageMagick reads the XMP metadata but currently does not write it. It is certainly simple enough to support this feature. We'll need a few days to research the effort.
karginartur

Post by karginartur »

Thanks a lot. I will wait... :)
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Post a URL to a few of your Postscript files. We have found that XMP is not stored in a consistent manner within Postscript and we need to verify our patch is robust.
karginartur

Post by karginartur »

magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Try ImageMagick-6.5.3-10. It picks up the XMP profiles in your EPS files. If that fails, grab ImageMagick 6.5.4-0 Beta.
karginartur

Post by karginartur »

Thanks. I will try and let you know...
karginartur

Post by karginartur »

Hi Team,

I have downloaded ImageMagick 6.5.4-0 Beta. And here are the results.

From JPG to TIFF ---- works fine.

From JPG to PNG ---- png file looks good, but when I try to open it in Photoshop I recieved en error. You can find the screenshot of the error message here: http://www.autoinfo.am/download/icc_error.jpg

From EPS to JPG ---- converts successfully, but no metadata
From EPS to PNG ---- converts successfully, but no metadata
From EPS to TIFF --- converts successfully, but no metadata

The following is the messages from command prompt when trying to convert EPS to JPG or EPS to PNG

Code: Select all

D:\Downloads\ImageMagick-6.5.4-0-windows\ImageMagick-6.5.4\VisualMagick\bin>conv
ert image.eps image.jpg
convert: `%s': %s "gswin32c.exe" -q -dQUIET -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -d
NOPROMPT -dMaxBitmap=500000000 -dEPSCrop -dAlignToPixels=0 -dGridFitTT=0 "-sDEVI
CE=bmpsep8" -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 "-r72x72" -g161x185  "-sOutp
utFile=C:/DOCUME~1/HRAYR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-33M4aphW" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/HRA
YR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-0XqYfR0m" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/HRAYR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp
/magick-U8S8Lgfv" @ utility.c/SystemCommand/1880.
convert: `%s': %s "gswin32c.exe" -q -dQUIET -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -d
NOPROMPT -dMaxBitmap=500000000 -dEPSCrop -dAlignToPixels=0 -dGridFitTT=0 "-sDEVI
CE=bmpsep8" -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 "-r72x72" -g161x185  "-sOutp
utFile=C:/DOCUME~1/HRAYR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-33M4aphW" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/HRA
YR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-0XqYfR0m" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/HRAYR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp
/magick-U8S8Lgfv" -c showpage @ utility.c/SystemCommand/1880.
convert: Postscript delegate failed `C:/DOCUME~1/HRAYR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp/magic
k-NK2Iilar': No such file or directory @ ps.c/ReadPSImage/744.
convert: image.eps: invalid TIFF directory; tags are not sorted in ascending order
. `TIFFReadDirectory' @ tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/528.

D:\Downloads\ImageMagick-6.5.4-0-windows\ImageMagick-6.5.4\VisualMagick\bin>conv
ert image.eps image.png
utFile=C:/DOCUME~1/HRAYR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-fjDMxB_j" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/HRA
YR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-BdNfAI7o" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/HRAYR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp
/magick-EZkWN6lC" @ utility.c/SystemCommand/1880.
utFile=C:/DOCUME~1/HRAYR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-fjDMxB_j" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/HRA
YR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-BdNfAI7o" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/HRAYR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp
/magick-EZkWN6lC" -c showpage @ utility.c/SystemCommand/1880.
convert: Postscript delegate failed `C:/DOCUME~1/HRAYR~1.GEV/LOCALS~1/Temp/magic
k-CtoBR2E7': No such file or directory @ ps.c/ReadPSImage/744.
convert: image.eps: invalid TIFF directory; tags are not sorted in ascending order
. `TIFFReadDirectory' @ tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/528.
Thanks
karginartur

Post by karginartur »

Hi Team,

Any news on this issue? Can I somehow assist in solving it?

Thanks in advance
Artur Sokhikyan
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Let's solve one problem at a time. We tried the following:
  • convert motorcyle.eps motorcycle.jpg
    identify -verbose motorcycle.* | grep -i xmp
and it returned:
  • Profile-xmp: 50680 bytes
    Profile-xmp: 50680 bytes
Suggesting the XMP profile was transferred properly to the JPEG image. We're using ImageMagick 6.5.4-2.
karginartur

Post by karginartur »

Hi Team,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

We are using ImageMagick 6.5.4 Q16 (OS: Windows XP service pack 2).

I have tried the following:
convert or.eps or.png
identify -verbose or.*

and we also got
Profile-xmp: 51864 bytes
Profile-xmp: 51864 bytes

But Photoshop shows the information saved in metadata of EPS file and do not show any information stored in PNG's metadata.

Here you can download the EPS, PNG and identify command output files.

Thanks
Artur Sokhikyan
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Perhaps you should make a bug report to Adobe about a bug in Photoshop. The ImageMagick identify program shows that the XMP profile is embedded in the PNG image.
karginartur

Post by karginartur »

Dear Team,

First of all let me thank you for your time and efforts in helping us to overcome these obstacles, it is highly appreciated.

May I kindly ask you to please assist us in the following issues?

We have been using several other programs to identify the XMP metadatas stored in converted image and all them showed that there are no metadatas in converted files.

Is there any way using your tool to identify the stored metadatas based on not only the sizes, but also the actual information stored?

Is it possible that the embedding has been done with some errors and this might result to problems described?

With best regards,

Artur Sokhikyan