JqMagick Beta Release - Please reply HERE only!

A plethora of command-line scripts that perform geometric transforms, blurs, sharpens, edging, noise removal, and color manipulations.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

JqMagick Beta Release - Please reply HERE only!

Post by fmw42 »

We are pleased to announce the first beta release of JqMagick.

JqMagick is a web-based Imagemagick application with an interactive Jquery/PHP/CSS front end.

While this product is still in development and does not include the full complement of functionality, we are hosting a beta version for users to try out and give us feedback.

It can be accessed at http://jqmagick.imagemagick.org/

Features include:

• Interactive Front End
• Filters From ImageMagick Functions
• Filters From ImageMagick Scripts For Enhanced Functionality
• Image Information
• Histogram Presentation
• Graph Showing Input to Output Intensity Transformation
• Clickable History To Jump To Previous Results
• Multi-Language Compatibility
• Template Images
• Uploadable Images
• Export under 38 formats
• Draggable panels to optimize your workspace
• Magnifying Glass To View Higher Resolution Data

Current Filter Categories Include:

• Blur
• Color
• Edge
• Effects
• Noise
• Sharpen
• Tone
• Warp

Current Limitations:

Maximum Uploadable Image Size : 2MB
Images Will Be Resized For Processing and Saving With Maximum Width of 900 pixels (aspect preserved)
No Progress Indicator
No IE support
Running on ImageMagick Beta
Doesn't make coffee

Future updates will include:

Frames and Geometry (crop, rotate, resize, etc) filters
Upload with format conversion, cropping and resize
Better support for animated gifs and png files
Progress indicator
Faster processing
Multiple filters panels (allowing processing with up to three filters at once)
IE, Smartphone and Tablet support

Creators:

Fred Weinhaus (Imagemagick Scripts)
JD Audibert (Front End)

We would like to thank Cristy for letting us host this project on his server using the latest IM build.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: JqMagick Beta Release - Please reply HERE only!

Post by snibgo »

Firefox 3.5.16 on Windows 7.

I try to upload a file. After navigating to the file, I get a sort of candy-bar indicator and a "cancel" button, but nothing happens. It is quite a small file. I press "cancel" and choose one of the in-built images.

On the "popular filters" bar, it would be good to see my chosen image used as the sample, so I can see what my image could look like with that filter.

I choose the Lichtenstein filter. My image hasn't changed. I squint and see small on/off buttons, so I select "on". Still no change. I play with the sliders, but nothing happens.

There's a lot of gray space on my window. I want to use it to see a bigger version of the picture. I move "options" and "image informations" [why "s"?] out of the way. Then I move "Lichtenstein", but that also moves "image informations".

Okay, now I have some free space around the image, but I can't use it. The image stays small. But the magnifying glass is cute.

I give up on Lichtenstein and try Motion. There is no on/off switch, but this one doesn't seem to work either.

The sliders are cute, but with no text box or arrows, I can't get exact values such as angle=60.

Why doesn't it work? What am I doing wrong? Javascript is enabled but not Java, and the app is call JqMagick, so maybe I should enable Java. I do, and refresh the page, but that doesn't help.

I try filter "tint". Interesting I/O under "options", but I can't do anything with it. Sliding brightness and contrast controls doesn't change the graph.

I can't see if it can spit out the IM commands for the work I have done. That would be useful for me. I could upload a small copy of a 36 MP photo, tweak it, than apply those tweaks locally to my real photo.

Conclusion: looks good. Shame it doesn't work for me.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
jda
Authentication code: 6789

Post by jda »

Hi, and thank you for your input.
snibgo wrote: Firefox 3.5.16 on Windows 7.
This version is 3 years old, Firefox is now at version 18, that's the reason I guess
snibgo wrote: I try to upload a file. After navigating to the file, I get a sort of candy-bar indicator and a "cancel" button, but nothing happens. It is quite a small file. I press "cancel" and choose one of the in-built images.
Could you send me a link to the image (pm or hosted somewhere) ?
snibgo wrote: On the "popular filters" bar, it would be good to see my chosen image used as the sample, so I can see what my image could look like with that filter.
That would be great, but would require more loading time.
snibgo wrote: I choose the Lichtenstein filter. My image hasn't changed. I squint and see small on/off buttons, so I select "on". Still no change. I play with the sliders, but nothing happens.
probably the firefox version
snibgo wrote: There's a lot of gray space on my window. I want to use it to see a bigger version of the picture. I move "options" and "image informations" [why "s"?] out of the way. Then I move "Lichtenstein", but that also moves "image informations".
Thank you, it's fixed.
snibgo wrote: Why doesn't it work? What am I doing wrong? Javascript is enabled but not Java, and the app is call JqMagick, so maybe I should enable Java. I do, and refresh the page, but that doesn't help.
It's not java but javascript.
snibgo wrote: I can't see if it can spit out the IM commands for the work I have done. That would be useful for me. I could upload a small copy of a 36 MP photo, tweak it, than apply those tweaks locally to my real photo.
That will be added to a future update.

Jd
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

snibgo wrote:I give up on Lichtenstein and try Motion. There is no on/off switch, but this one doesn't seem to work either.

The sliders are cute, but with no text box or arrows, I can't get exact values such as angle=60.
All the filters, except effects, were designed to start with no changes to the image, so as not to surprise the user with some odd warp or change of the image from some previous filter change. These other icons use rather meaningless values that were exaggerated to show some representation of what the filter does.

It does make some sense to have the Effects apply to your image when clicking on the filter.

With regard to motion blur, one has to change the amount (of blur) from zero to see any effect.

We can switch the order of the angle and amount sliders on motion blur so that it is more obvious that the amount needs to be changed first.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Fred
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

It's entirely possible the main problem is my ancient Firefox. Sadly, I'm not currently in a position to upgrade.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
whugemann
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by whugemann »

Dear Fred and JD,

the page is quite impressive and for me (Firefox 18.0.2 on Windows XP) everything worked just fine, although it took me some time to figure out that you have to turn the filters explicitly on in order to apply them to the picture.

Could you explain a little bit what this project is aiming at? It clearly visualises the power of ImageMagick, but would be more instructive if it would somehow reveal how it achieves certain results, i.e. display the IM command line or the script that generates the effect. I cannot imagine that anyone really manipulates images online when GIMP is free at hand (?). So what are you trying to achieve with this project?
Wolfgang Hugemann
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Hello Wolfgang,

Thanks for your feedback.

For most of the filters we thought it would be best to have an on/off toggle so that it could be easily switched back and forth. Many of the filters we thought would be best not to apply immediately. Many have no on/off toggle, since the main slider when set to 0 is like no change. We have enabled the toggle to on by default in the Effects and Threshold categories. We will revisit enabling some of the other categories. Unfortunately, our decisions on these matter have changed as we added more filters. At some point we will likely have to correct some of them.

Filtes such as arc and shear, probably do not need an on/off. But for example, spherize has no no-op case. Thus we added an on/off toggle, but to keep it consistent with the other filters in that category, we have it off by default.

I would certainly appreciate more feedback on this, if you can identify some filters or categories where you think it should be on by default.

For example, take the noise category. Do you think, applying denoising or adding noise to an image should be on by default? Similarly for the edge category? Except for the categories of Effects and Threshold, we felt it might be best to have all the rest start in a no change situation rather than some default setting that may not apply well to every image.

With regard to the information feedback, there is some shown in the lower right corner. I had originally thought that this tool might be useful for the IM community and showing the IM functions or script name and arguments would be appropriate. But so far we have not had much feedback or hits. Thus we have been trying to think of other audiences where only the arguments may be useful. We are certainly open to more feedback.

Some of the attraction to JqMagick (in comparison to GIMP or other web based applications) might be my scripts and combinations of IM commands to do things that are more unique.

We also thought that having an interactive GUI based IM might be useful to novice IM users who want to see what features and capabilities it has. For the more experienced users, it could provide a test bed, if the commands and scripts and arguments were presented better. Then the user can prototype using JqMagick and then apply the same or similar settings to many images. Often it is hard to know what values are good to use and one has to do a lot of typing to test in command line mode. Having the GUI makes it easier to try things.

It also gave me a good idea how my scripts work and the ability to do much more extensive testing and debugging. I have already found a number of script problems, simply because I could not do as extensive testing in command line mode.

Fred
Last edited by fmw42 on 2013-02-10T20:02:28-07:00, edited 2 times in total.
jda

Post by jda »

whugemann wrote: Could you explain a little bit what this project is aiming at? It clearly visualises the power of ImageMagick, but would be more instructive if it would somehow reveal how it achieves certain results, i.e. display the IM command line or the script that generates the effect.
Hi and thanks for your feedback.

We thought about displaying the command line in a new window with a copy to clipboard function, but we needed to correct some features first.
This feature will be added in a couple of days.
whugemann wrote:I cannot imagine that anyone really manipulates images online when GIMP is free at hand (?).
Well, it depends on who is using this service. We're still working on the technographic segmentation and we hope this tool finds its audience.
whugemann wrote: So what are you trying to achieve with this project?
I just wanted to show the power of IM & Fred's scripts through a simple GUI; plus working on this project helped me having a better understanding of Jquery and IM.
And if the source code gives ideas to developpers to enhance users experience on their websites, I will consider this project a good achievement.

Thank you very much for your feedback.
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

I would think displaying the command line that the user could copy and paste into their code would be helpful.

P.S. At the moment it seems to be broken; whenever I call up a filter the picture disapears. Firefox 18.02 on windows.

fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Are you using the latest version of Firefox?
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

Yes version 18
jda

Post by jda »

Hi,

I'm running FF 18.0.2 as well and it works fine on windows xp, vista, 7.

Could you take a look again, we just updated the beta with new features ?
Use Ctrl+F5, just to make sure no cache files are used.

Thank you
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

Firefox is the same - the image disapears and I am stuck with Crop, Trim, Chop, Rotation and Range

IE seems to be working OK

Chrome seems OK
jda

Post by jda »

Here's a list of the latest changes :

- IM command line display (right pannel, under histogram).
- Progress bar.
- Trashbin to empty the history.
- Threshold filters.
- Zoom slider for the Histogram.
- Zoom preview on mouseover (right pannel named preview).
- All filters from the "effect" category automatically process the image when clicking on the icon.
- Actions and History no longer require to reload the page.
- Gray histogram for threshold filters.

Edit : Zoom preview fixed for geometry filters thanks to Bonzo
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Also,

- All filters from the "threshold" category automatically process the image when clicking on the icon.

Note the threshold measures filters are rather slow, but I will rewrite them to improve speed.