Mountain Lion running faster on 1 thread than on 8!

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
Nik
Authentication code: 8675309

Mountain Lion running faster on 1 thread than on 8!

Post by Nik »

Hi there,

I have various machines that have a copy of IM installed. Recently I installed version 6.8.6-6 using macports on a mac running 10.8.4 (mountain Lion). I also have a mac running the same version of IM on 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). I ran a couple of tests on each machine and noticed that the newer mac running ML & IM ran slower than my older mac running SL & IM. On closer inspection I noticed than when a convert command was issued only 1 thread was being used on the mac running ML, where all 8 threads where being used on the mac running SL. I did a bit of searching here and found that OpenMP had not been enabled on the ML mac when being installed using macports. I then followed some advice here and manually installed the delegates and configured IM manually. After the install I could see that OpenMP had been installed and when I ran the tests again all 8 threads where being used but it was running even slower.

The tests times where:

SL 8 threads = 18 seconds
ML 1 thread = 20 seconds
ML 8 threads = 28 seconds

SL mac has a 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 and 8 GB of ram
ML mac has a 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel i7 and 16 GB and a SSD

Could you please tell me why the convert process runs faster on 1 thread than on 8 in ML and why OpenMP does not get installed when configured with macports?

Many Thanks,
Nik