"--with-jasper" broken in ImageMagick 6.8.8 (OS X)

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
Minami-tori-shima
Authentication code: 6789

"--with-jasper" broken in ImageMagick 6.8.8 (OS X)

Post by Minami-tori-shima »

Hello,

First, I am not very knowledgeable, so I compile ImageMagick using Homebrew ("brew" command). Second, I need ImageMagick to work with "jp2" files. With previous versions of ImageMagick (meaning 6.8.7 and prior), I did:

Code: Select all

brew install imagemagick --with-jasper
and it worked (it added "jp2" file support to ImageMagick). But with the latest version (meaning 6.8.8), it stopped working. "jp2" files are not supported. When I type:

convert -list configure | grep DELEGATES
I get with ImageMagick 6.8.8:

DELEGATES      bzlib mpeg freetype jng jpeg lcms png tiff xml zlib
when it should say:

DELEGATES      bzlib mpeg freetype jng jp2 jpeg lcms png tiff xml zlib
Any ideas?
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: "--with-jasper" broken in ImageMagick 6.8.8 (OS X)

Post by fmw42 »

The Jasper delegate library has been replace with the OpenJpeg v2 delegate library for handling JP2000. This started at IM 6.8.8-2. Jasper is not an option. You must install the OpenJpeg v2 library and recompile IM.
Minami-tori-shima

Thank you for your answer! This explains everything. I guess I will ask some kind soul in the Homebrew forums to create a "openjpeg2" formula and edit the "imagemagick" formula accordingly. I won't be able to do it myself.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

If you use MacPorts, it already has OpenJpeg 2. But so far I cannot get it to work, because, the OpenJpeg 2 from MacPorts seems to be using the v1.5 file naming notation and IM objects. So perhaps you may get better results from HomeBrew or FINK. Let us know how that works. At some point I need to report this issue to the MacPorts people and see what they say.
Minami-tori-shima

Hello,

A few moments ago, JP2 support was added to Homebrew's imagemagick. The install command is:

brew install imagemagick --with-jp2
Problem resolved!