Trying to use imagemagick to segment text

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".

Trying to use imagemagick to segment text

Post by newbie »

Hi,
I am trying to import images of printed class notes into OneNote. My style of studying involves adding comments at the end of each paragraph. I am looking for a way to take the image associated with a page of text and break it up into a set of images with each one representing a paragraph. First, can Imagemagick do this, and what would be the basic technique. I don't mind having to type a command line parameter giving the number of contiguous white horizontal lines that would represent a paragraph break.

If this has already been answered, please redirect me as my search didn't turn up much.

Thanks for your help.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Trying to use imagemagick to segment text

Post by fmw42 »

I don't know if IM is the tool for you. But it would be best to judge and test if you would post at least one link to an example image and explain what you want to do with it. If it is just separating paragraphs without your handwritten notes, then I may have an idea how to do this.
Last edited by fmw42 on 2010-04-14T19:54:22-07:00, edited 1 time in total.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: Trying to use imagemagick to segment text

Post by snibgo »

Can't you get the classnotes eletronically? What decade are we living in?

If the paragraphs are divided by blank lines, you could use "compare" to find the gaps. But you would have to handle paragraphs that spanned pages. Unless you have a large volume to do, I'd think Gimp cut and paste would be a simpler solution.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com