stegano process in background

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
nunjimmimya
Authentication code: 6789

stegano process in background

Post by nunjimmimya »

hi

hope that this is not wrong forum ;)
i got a project that requires me to do a stegano image
and stumbled upon this impressive tools

upon presenting to the professor (as i'm using only your component not the algo) he request me to show how in the mathematically (not in programming) the stegano work
can somebody in here can tell me how the algorithm works and how the checksum being verified

(sorry for my bad english)
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: stegano process in background

Post by anthony »

See IM Examples
Image Transforms, Stegano
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/transform/#stegano

Essentially it replaces the lowest color bits (which is typically not visible to the eye) with other information. Over a large image that can be a lot of information. Combined with encryption, randomized distribution, image coordinate offsets, and data redundancy, you can store quite a bit of additional information in a typical image.

It however does not work for JPEG or other 'lossy' compression methods, and any 'modification' of the image (resize, cropping, watermarking etc) will generally destroy the hidden data. It is not a good 'watermarking' or copyright technique.

The point of stegano, is to hide extra information without making the presence of such information obvious, as it is with typical encryption methods.

I can say it is being used to securely transmit messages across the internet in a way that is rarely interceptable (or even delectable) by a third party, (governments and security agency's). I am not however talking about IM's simple implementation, but much more advanced versions.
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/